Team Sociating
by on November 14, 2019
161 views

Throughout recent years, according to the company's half-yearly transparency report, policymakers have been requesting more and more user data from Facebook. 

While more than 82,000 requests were filed worldwide in the second half of 2017, this number has increased to more than 128,000 by 56 percent in the first half of 2019.The percentage of requests for receiving data has remained more or less the same. In the second half of 2017, data was given to governments in 74.8 percent of the cases. That share in this year's first half was 73.6 percent.


The requests are focused primarily on general data such as names, registration dates and how long the user has been active, according to Facebook. In certain cases, such as posted messages, it concerns IP addresses or account content.

Such information can be used by authorities to investigate individual people. It specifically involves criminal cases such as robberies or abductions, according to the social network.


90.5% of all requests were made through a legal procedure whereby the government had a subpoena to request the data. The remaining 9.5 percent passed a warrant-free emergency procedure. This only happens in the event of an emergency, when there is no time to conduct a warrant according to governments.

Source: Facebook

Posted in: Social Media, Research
Be the first person to like this.